Wednesday 10 September 2008

How to connect to BSNL broadband from fedora 9 ??

Thats one question that was stuck in my head from as long as I can remember. You see I was running many versions of linux on my notebook. But continuously had problems making full use of it. You see, installing Linux on a notebook especially a HP/Compaq itself a pain in the tail. Next was the bigger problem, I connect to the net using a BSNL Broadband connection, one that uses a UT-300R2U modem. It is the kind in which you are not automatically connected to the internet at startup. I gotta double click on the BSNL Icon on the desktop and then connect.

NOTE: If you are in a terrible hurry to find out the answer then scroll down to the words in pale-yellow and follow the instructions.

Are you wondering what a "Solve a linux problem" is doing on Insanity unlimited?Dont wonder...just read. Its not the problem thats the topic, its the solution or the abundance and yet lack of it.

After finally loading my notebook with a Fedora 9, I set out on the first task of mounting partitions. I somehow managed some quick fix solutions using root users. My second task was to connect to the internet. Now, how many people in the world, work on a Fedora 9 and have a BSNL BroadBand connection that doesnt connect on startup but only one manual dial (Double click and connect) through a UT-300R2U modem????
I am guessing not too many. Now I setout on the job of the painful Google R&D to find out the answer to one of the big questions in life ( 3rd biggest but only for the week) - How to connect to BSNL broadband from fedora 9 ??
it turns out there are many people who seek answers to the same question and quite a few geeks who have answered them on the net. "Answered" is not the end of the story my friend.
One guy lists out a set of numbers DNZ, IP, TCP, Subnet mask, BBT, POT , SOB and what not. We have to try all that at some imaginary place in Fedora 9 that this guy probably keeps dreaming about.
Another guy came in with a set of instructions that had everything to do from installing a set of softwares to whacking the hell out of some port thats on my system! - Right!

There were about 6 other guys whose solutions were more dramatic than the other. I tried all the methods one by one, pushing my hands into the deepest slimiest trenches of the Linux system, even stood upside. I felt like I was ready for the toughest Yoga sessions after being done with these. But no...the internet was still miles away.

While banging my head on my keyboards ( A practice developed while trying in vain to solve other problems) as my head moved closer to the keyboard the visibility of my system tray improved and I noticed a small icon which looked like a mouse( Intended to look like a network adapter - as I realised later). Curious I clicked on it. It had popped up a ballon that read "Network now disconnected".
One of the GREAT solutions provided by the geniuses online had done enough to disconnect my modem and connect it again, but definitely not connect it to the internet. But thanks to the modem restart the balloon had popped up.

Voila! I discovered the four step procedure to connect to the net. It is so simple so stupid. What all the techno crap couldnt do, four mouse clicks managed it in unders 20 seconds. Here it is:

>Right-click on the icon in the system tray that looks like a mouse or network plug/adapter
>Click on Edit Connections
>Select tab DSL
>Click on 'ADD'
>Enter your login information ( Connection name - "BSNL", username and password are as provided by BSNL, can leave service field blank)
>Click ok.
>Now come back to your desktop. Left click on the same icon and select 'BSNL', by default its connected to 'system eth0'.
>It will prompt you for the password again. Enter it and click connect.

You should be ready to go.




Now the bigger question in life! What the *&^%$# hell were the other guys talking about??????????? I can't believe 4-5 click solution could solve this mess.




NOTE: If this doesn't work for you either, then good look discovering your own solution, which you can post on the net and please go easy on me in your article. Thanks in advance.

>For those who NOW think I am turning into a geek - Better Stop thinking.
>No my DP on gtalk is not Tux, the linux penguin
>This post was pending for 9 days!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting read. Having gone through the "banging the head" step you mentioned. I finally had things clarified from BSNL itself.

It seems BSNL gives two types of connections. The first one where you have to enter a user/password everytime you want to connect and the second one where it is always connected. I have the second type.

The list of numbers provided by other guys is essentially for the second type of connection. I had to do this to connect my laptop. So I had to change the IP settings etc.

However, I am currently figuring out how to connect Fedora 10 with all these numbers. I will tell you how it goes.

Iceman said...

Oh..kool!thnx!
Please do tell me.
and a little bit more info about yourself when you do, would be nice! :D

Unknown said...

Good sense of humor and great style of writing ....

Anonymous said...

pls can u tell how connect it in kde desktop i used same method but the option was not available after left click the bsnl wont appear at 7th step pl shelp my email id is hotesh_ingole2000@yahoo.com