Tuesday 2 September 2008

And then came TM

First there was Infy. The story is old!
Then TCS they didn't shortlist me.
Thoughtworks, whoa, I was shortlisted this time, but it would be unfair if a guy like me had got into it. I would have deprieved someone really brainy of his rightful place.
After these three companies, there was a long lull. I would show up on time, in the college all the time, only to be told that I won't be allowed to take their tests. Not once did I feel dejected. It was usually like 'Awright, whose next?'.
After all - The world cant keep a guy like me jobless for too long.

And then came TM.

I had learned the previous night that it was confirmed to be a mass. i.e, I wouldn't get a chance to write for another co if I got into this one. So I had my doubts anyway. Not that I was sure about getting into it, but I calculate mathematically, while expecting the worst. I took suggestions from friends.
Finally I decided to stop being ambitious. I had barely a few hours before the reporting time when links started pouring in for papers and stuff. Honestly, I could not get myself to look at them. I just passed them onto others who were more serious about the company. I felt like kicking myself, cause I thought I would be blaming this attitude for still being unemployed the next day.


The morning, I arrived late by over half an hour. But the HRs set the benchmark for punctuality in their organisation by being One and a half hours late, so I had to sit and wait for one hour anyway.

The HR Manager, actually left me cracking with his mindless bungles during the PPT. He said "All of you at the back having been standing for 2 years". When the hall burst into a roar of laughter, he realised (or was probably prompted by someone sitting in the front) and said "HOURS! HOURS! Not years...two hours". The PPT was no less funny. People attending the classes kept messaging
"How was the test? How was the test? "
I kept replying
"PPT is funny! PPT is funny!"
One guy looked like he had four sets of teeth, which could barely fit into his mouth. It was hard to make out whether he was smiling or angry. The rest looked like Juniors from another college. Maybe they were.

The Online Aptitude test was a nothing. Thanks to our college (Which will be a globally acknowledged institution...blah blah) , our systems powered off due to a power failure. Hello? Ever heard of a UPS Mr.Globally Acknowledged?
Good News: I got 10 minutes extra when the power returned
Bad news: The power kept failing and the system kept shutting down. I? I kept banging my head on the table.
OK-OK news: I didnt need the extra time as I finished 25 mins ahead.

Earlier than I thought, I was told I would be called in next, when Kavs showed up to explain the same project to me. She had run out of CGI Laboratory on the pretex of drinking water to help me out.

I was called in soon. The Tech Interview went on well, with only basic programs being asked.

I came out in about 40 minutes.

I am now telling everyone that I am sure to be called for HR.

Barely 5 mins later I was called in for HR which was pretty bad. We found out that I actually was not eligible to take up their test in the first place. Before letting me out, he made it clear that I couldn't be employed by them.

What we need we not always want. Getting this job was still important because
1) I don't have to dodge bullets from Dad
2) Results were going to be announced. My aggre would then be below 60 + 4 backs
3) Over Ambition is a main source of undoing.
4)Ego aside, get your butt employed first , said a voice from inside. And also some messages on chat, let alone the people shouting at me all the way to college.

I was recalling how everyone kept thinking that I was sad and dejected for not being placed. I wrote about my condition on my blog only because it was my condition and it is my blog. I was not sad or dejected. The reactions were more like "Aww its ok" instead of "Haha! Point! ".
I had to get this for them too?

2005 HRs (5 past 8 pm in simpler words)
The result was announced, and by now you must have realised my name was in the list.

All the best to Pradeep and Shambu. Two of my close friends, who deserved a job that day more than anyone else. I know a hot seat is waiting for you somewhere, I can't wait till you are on it.

God Bless!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This entire process teaches you alot..
It taught me-
1)Rejection hurts
2)Patience is virtue