Saturday 31 October 2009

House Hunt

The term finally came to an end after 7 long years and staying in this lovely neighbourhood with its weird neighbours (remind me to write about that) will soon come to an end.

Initially in search of a house in lease, we finally agreed to start considering houses for rent also as the date (end of term) drew closer.

The thing about the houses we could afford is that they always had a rider. Either they were
- too small,
- or they didn't like dogs
-No AEH
-Water problem
- or they wanted their furniture to stay in the house - which was a big no no for us. On top of all the frustration of riding around under the hot sun from house to house that the brokers took us to, I had to handle with an extra embarrassment to the landlords about What I Do!

The brokers would always introduce me as 'Engineer sayabru' followed by the landlord(s) looking at me with a bit more respect than what I have been getting from the people I already know. Then THAT would be followed by me explaining how I was not really all what the broker meant and that I had just finished my BE and was jobless.

My father is a big piteel master. (In kannada slang, it means he talks too much. More than necessary sometimes). Thus I also had to bear with the looong looong unwanted stories (which I have already heard a million gazzilion times) that eventually led to nowhere. The landlords always thought that the whole story made a point somewhere in the end with respect to the house, only to realise otherwise. One thing I never understood was the fact that they all seemed to enjoy the story anyway, even after realising it was not required in the discussion. And I thought I was jobless!

I mean come on, how can you be entertained on hearing the story about how my granny lived in a new and only house in a lonely new area with no power for 4 months all alone(ofcourse with all the drama, masala and tadka marke), when you are actually negotiating the rent/lease?
I would have said, wtf old man, you here for rent or story telling?

Anyway, after all the searching we narrowed in on two houses. One in a land far far away, the kind of lands where charming princes and beautiful princess' come from. And the other quite close to where we live now. The latter was for rent while the former is on lease.

Lease kinda works out financially, but the problem was that my dad sometimes returns late on his khat-khatiya scooter. And if it broke down on the way, he being a cardiac patient definitely cannot push it all the way to the land far far away.

So it has been decided that we will go for the house on rent. Those who know me for real, please remind me to show you where we are moving into. I just began packing stuff and even returned some DIY furnitures that I had borrowed from aunt a few years ago.

The update about the blocked SIM is that it miraculously fixed itself, even though all the while the dealers and occasional customer care fellows were blaming the problem on me, that I had changed some settings. Yess sirr, after all I recently moved into the city straight from the deepest darkest jungles of the Amazon and have no clue about gadgets.

After nearly 45 houses, one has been settled. After the shifting is complete, I search for my job with 0.19% more seriousness than I had all this while.


Note that I had to write this one in a hurry as the internet connection might be temporarily terminated for the time being during the shifting process and the exile may last as long as the whole of next month keeping in mind the lazy bums from BSNL.

4 comments:

djd said...

i still wanna hear about the job search
best of luck :)

Kavya said...

Hey lemme know where your new house is. House hunt came to an end. soon your job hunt will come to end :)

v said...

oh good luck with the moving engineer sahyebre! :)

Iceman said...

@Peeps.. Thank you :)